Tuesday 28 February 2017

Should I ever win the lottery

(Written February 26th)

Of course, one would have to play the lottery in order to win the lottery.  But if I did play, and if I did win big, what would I do with the winnings.  What would you do?

If the jackpot was substantial enough, I'm at a point in my career that I would quit my job.  There are enough young teachers out there that are eager and willing to fill my shoes.  As I am often reminded, everyone is replaceable.  I would pay off all of my debts.  I would give a large portion to my other family members to do with as they wish.  I would invest and I would travel.  Winning the lottery would be an easy way to solve some financial issues.

Ultimately, if I had unlimited funds, I would grant my father a dying wish.  There are 2 really, one he has voiced and the other he has spoken of at length as a wish he could have done at some point in his life.

Yesterday, Dad voiced his wish to get on a private charter plane and travel to Zurich, hire a driver and tour all of his hangout places, fly back to Canada and come right back here to his hospital bed.....not so difficult really?  What kinds of funds would that require?  I dream.....how hard would that be to pull off?  Mom told him he would need to take 2 nurses with him....which he would be ok with.   Dad also said that it would be very nice for mother to join him.  So how, without having unlimited resources and being a multi-millionaire with connections, do people actually make a request like this happen....? Quite simply, you don't.  So my only wish is that I can fill Dad's last precious moments with richness in other ways since I don't think I can make the Zurich visit happen.

Dad's second lifelong wish has always been to visit Russia.  Moscow, St. Petersburg, the Hermitage Museum.  I've heard about these places for as long as I can remember.  I fear that if I was to ever visit any of these places, that they wouldn't live up to the images Dad had painted for me in my mind (kind of like trying marroni - a chestnut paste which Dad always thought was quite devine) Perhaps these places hold a special mystique for Dad of places far far away. Places he thought were difficult to visit.

Well, I didn't play the lottery, I'm not a millionaire so I guess I too will dream.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hospitals Suck

Don't get me wrong...I am SO damn grateful every day of our world class health care system; the doctors, the nurses....all fantastic. Bu...