Wednesday 22 February 2017

It's a beginning...

I could take my musings to a very deep level....but maybe not today.  Life is funny with its twists and turns...some light and radiant, some dark and gloomy.  All make for an interesting journey.   The joy in the journey comes from within and how each individual reacts to their daily happenings.

So, here I sit, in the Haliburton Hospital,  listening to my father gently snore as he rests after looking at some impressionistic artwork.  It's not a hard task.  Some might say it would be boring to this 7 or 8 hours a day.  But it's not.  I just imagine how Dad's 24hr day would be boring and then complaining about my day becomes a moot issue.

Dad had a good night last night. Said he slept well, he's says mostly due to the meds they gave him.  We've taken a walk to our favourite little nook to enjoy the view outside.  We're waiting for the sun to shine...says he needs to roll up his pant legs to get some some sun on his legs.  I'll try not to burn him like I did this past Saturday....but what glorious sunshine there was!  And who was I to deny him his rest in the sun.  My Mom has made sure that there is ample sunscreen available for him now.

The denturist came by last night...took his top teeth away for 24hrs.  Food services woman said she'd make a note for his food to be soft for the next 3 meals....so they served him toast for breakfast!  Dad said, "They served toast for breakfast.... It looked good...but I couldn't eat it!"  Damn!  That's rough for a man that isn't eating much anyway.  We'll head back shortly to see what crunchy stuff they'll serve him up for lunch.

This morning Dad said he is homesick.  I asked for where, hoping not to invoke too much sadness in him.  He commented that he was missing Zürich,  where he lived and grew up.  He still has sisters there, be them all but estranged from him.  Not sure if he wants me to make contact with them. 

Time passes....

Dad ate lunch very well today and was able to use his right arm to feed himself.  Cream of celery soup....with 2 packets of pepper.  They gave him an extra soup to make up for the tease of toast they sent him for breakfast. 

What a luxury!  There's hot water today!  I was able to soak Dad's nicely browned face with a hot towel to get him ready for a shave.  Must remind myself to buy some new razors...and not to pull and lift off the skin at the same time!  I've been quite spectacular at giving dad a shave...haven't knicked his jugular yet!  

We are currently sitting outside hoping for sun.  Dad is restless, and awake which is more than I can say about yesterday.  After running around in the morning getting things packed and driving over from Bracebridge,  I was able to spend the better part of the day hanging out with Dad.  At around 7pm I called it a day and left him in the hands of my sister.  Shortly after I left, while talking to mom on my sisters' phone my mom asked, "Did you have a nice visit with Corry?"  "Yeah, she was only here for a little bit..." Dad replied.  So much for me thinking he was more aware.  Maybe today will be different.  But I guess when one sleeps that much, time has a way of playing funny tricks on you.  Day becomes night, night becomes day, each nap is a day complete.  A hospital is like a city, it never truly sleeps....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hospitals Suck

Don't get me wrong...I am SO damn grateful every day of our world class health care system; the doctors, the nurses....all fantastic. Bu...