Tuesday 7 March 2017

Lots more living to do before thinking about dying...

It is easy to slip into a kind of funk while sitting in the hospital surrounded by the elderly.  I can't decide whether it is depressing or soul-filling.  I try not to fall into the trap of wallowing in the sadness that envelops this place.  I have to keep reminding myself that this is a process.  This is what getting old is about.  It's about living life to it's fullest.  The question is....how do we, in this western society, grow old with class, with dignity, with pride.....with grace?

Everyone here has a story...where have they been, what kind of mischief has each one gotten into in their lives.  So many stories....and I bet if they are like my dad, each one has some very interesting stories indeed!  Who documents these stories?  I bet nurses meet some fascinating individuals...

Anyone who knows me, knows I've asked this question...how am I going to continue to live the best life I can live.  How can I be the best human that I can be?  Alternatively, I need to ask myself more often...what kind of mischief can I get myself into?  I've already discussed earlier trying to find the wonder in each day...how will I find the laughter?  We need to laugh more....as humans.  Not be so damn serious all the time.  My students think their world is falling apart for the smallest of things....

On another note...as I sit here keeping Dad company, I am joyfully watching George eat EVERYTHING that he is served for dinner.  Good God the man must be hungry!  He has meticulously opened the sugar packet and emptied that into his mouth.  He looked quite pleased and a little surprized that it was sweet.  The salt was next!  Not such a pleasing face, and....last but not least, the pepper was greeted with a bit of a coughing fit an almost sneeze and a runny nose...but he got it all packed away!  Damn!  THAT, was my chuckle for the day.  Gotta love me some George.

Here's to LIVING each day....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hospitals Suck

Don't get me wrong...I am SO damn grateful every day of our world class health care system; the doctors, the nurses....all fantastic. Bu...