Wednesday 1 March 2017

Routine and the joy of coffee!

What a stark contrast today's weather is to the past 2 days.  Dark, dreary, rain, warmish and foggy.  This will give way tonight to freezing temps and more snow.  I had hoped we would be getting rid of the snow at this point.  The weather has been good for driving.  I appreciate that.

I don't look at the scenery today.  I don't find myself scanning the roadside vistas for anything interesting as the light is flat and dull.  The one amazing piece I see is when I pass Boshkung Lake...the fog has enveloped the distant shores and just left white sky with white snow and some black trees in the foreground.  It's quite stunning.

Dad and I are developing quite a routine.  He is awake today when I get to his room and he smiles and his face lights up when he notices that I have brought hot coffee.  He asks if there is something to nibble on....I brighten his day once more when I tell him I have also brought a croissant with me that he can dip into his coffee.  Often, Dad can't wait to have the coffee but it is always too hot!  I have to distract him so it can cool off.  Eventually we get to dipping and sipping without spilling or burning.

Yesterday Dad was moved back into the room with the view of the bright blue tarp that covers the fence outside of his window.  It's not a bad room, kind of away from the general noise of the nurses station.  Not that noise matters anyways.  Dad shares his room with very old George.  He's a quirky kinda guy.  Not unpleasant, but not too social either.  Dad was with George before and when Dad would be out of the room George would take to making sure Dad's bed was neatly made.  I'm not quite sure if George missed Dad when he was taken to a different room for 5 days.

We move all of Dad's things into his space by the blue tarped window and I notice that George has Dad's TV on and has absconded with both TV remotes.  Ha!  Apparently George shops around on his wanderings around the hospital.  A week or so ago, Dad's magazines went missing.  George had stashed them in his side table!  I try not to be too obtrusive to George when I visit Dad because this is his 'home' too.

I reflect on this yesterday....hospital for health or death...tough call.  Tough place to work.  Can't imagine.  It's time again to take Dad for a tour...perhaps a run through the drizzle.  Heat up his cold coffee and give him the last of his croissant to enjoy before I have to go and pick up the kids.

It's been a good day...again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hospitals Suck

Don't get me wrong...I am SO damn grateful every day of our world class health care system; the doctors, the nurses....all fantastic. Bu...